Libya Conflict - 2011
National Transitional Council fighters fire at Moamer Kadhafi’s troops in the town of Sirte on October 10, 2011, as they move in for the kill against the strongman’s remaining diehards.
Awards: Special prize by jury of the 8th DAYS International Awards
Aris Messinis (1977, Greece) is a self-taught photographer. He started his collaboration with The Associated Press in 1997 as a stringer photographer, after finishing high school and completing his military service. In 2003, he joined the Agence France-Presse and since 2006, he is the Chief Photographer of the photo department of AFP in Athens, Greece.
His work has been published in all the major international magazines and newspapers such as The International Herald Tribune, The New York Times, TIME Magazine, Newsweek, Paris Match Magazine, The Guardian.
- Fotoweek DC Awards 3rd place (Portfolio Photojournalism / Social documentary) - 2011
- Prix International du Grand Reportage Sportif Francophone, 1st prize - 2005
- NPPA Best of Photojournalism Contest, 3rd place - 2005
- EPPA Fuji Hellas first prize - 2005
- Deadline Club of America Awards - 2002
- Editor & Publisher photos of the year Awards - 2002